Tuesday, 15 July 2008

Early History

Salsa was born at Whitsbury Manor Farm & Stud, Hampshire on 19th April 1998. His dam is Lana Turrel (USA) and his sire is Salse (USA). He was trained by Michael Dods, of County Durham, and began racing in July 2000. His racing career ended in May 2002, with total winnings of £5,070.


Racing at Musselburgh - 23rd August 2001




He won! - 23rd August 2001


From 2002 - 2005, he drops off the face of the Earth. So far, despite letters to his trainer, breeder and the one other listed owner in his passport (not the original Weatherbys one, which appears to have vanished at some point in his history), I have no idea what he did during those three years.
In June 2005, he was sold at York Auctions, Murton to a lady from Northallerton, for her teenage daughter. The daughter showed little interest, and despite only little schooling, Salsa attended several long-distance pleasure rides. In October 2005, he was for sale again.
I had gone out looking for an Arab, and found one that sounded promising. After a three hour drive, the viewing went horribly. They wanted me to buy as seen, and had expected me to take her home with me then and there, with no vetting. I was so upset on the way home that I called my then-husband and had him pick any horse at random out of the paper for me. I called the advertiser from the back of the car as we drove along the motorway and managed to arrange a viewing on the way home!


My first viewing of Salsa - October 2005
It was love at first sight and within minutes of arriving I knew this was the horse for me.

No comments: