When I decided my tack would be living at home full time, my boyfriend started kitting out our spare bedroom as my "tack room", so that I had somewhere for my saddle, bridles and various bits of kit to go. I had a mass tack cleaning afternoon and polished every bit of leather until it gleamed (even my work shoes!).
I made an appointment on Thursday 29th May for a saddler to come out. Since there was nowhere for me to ride at the field, I made arrangements for us to take Salsa to the DIY yard for a couple of hours. I brought him in, brushed him down and popped him in his spare bridle so that my boyfriend could walk him down the hill, and I met them there in the car.
Sal was incredibly over-excited. He danced and whinnied and snorted his way into his old stable-block. We had almost an hour to wait for the appointment, so he spent the time head-bobbing, stamping his feet and harrassing anyone who came past. I tried popping him in Jacob's stable (my dad's cob for anyone who doesn't know) with a haynet, but he only weaved until I brought him out again. When the saddle fitter arrived, he wouldn't stand still at all, and the fitter (knowing my previous confidence issues) asked if I was sure I wanted to have the fitting done today, because I would need to get on and ride. I will admit, my heart was in my mouth, but I was determined! Even my boyfriend looked a bit concerned at me getting on a horse who was apparently under the impression that he was a "wild stallion" now!
Once the saddle fitter was ready, I popped his bridle on, did up my hat and led him to the wall to mount. I swear my heart was beating so hard I think everyone in the area must have heard it! I was expecting him to go shooting off like a bullet from a gun as soon as I was in the saddle, but aside from a little impatient jig while I tightened the girth, he stood nicely.
We walked into the school, and just walked around first on both reins. It felt so strange but so familiar at the same time. It's not like I haven't ridden at all - I've had two or three rides on my friend's Arab x Welshie over the last few months, but this was Salsa. I am so unfit after all this time off, and within five minutes we were both starting to sweat (it was also about 24 degrees C as well!). We didn't canter, but we did have a little trot around and I am so happy to report that he was a saint! No messing around, no spooking at grains of sand. His transitions weren't perfect, but definitely better than I expected.
And the best news?
He has gained so much muscle over his back since being out on the hill that his saddle needed flocking taking out! The saddle fitter said he has never seen Salsa looking so well. After his illness in 2006, his spine has always been a little bit prominent and I had problems with muscle wastage behind his withers, but all that has improved enormously. I am pleased to say that my Thoroughbred has a "proper" horse's back! I felt so confident that I even hacked him back to his field! It involves a few minutes on a 60mph road once you get off the bridleway, but Salsa has always been so good on the roads. What I didn't realise was that the broodmare he is turned out with was taken to stud while we were out, so the two colts (the youngest of which has never been separated from her before) were alone and as soon as they heard us, they began calling. Salsa started doing a dance up the road. At one point, I felt his whole body bunch up and I was convinced he was going to buck, but it was just an enormous whinny! Daft creature.
However, his silly behaviour didn't phase me and considering that the colts were having an absolute fit on the other side of the road and charging up and down the treeline, calling and generally carrying on, I think he was very restrained.
So the bit you've been waiting for... You're very lucky, because I didn't know these pictures existed until this morning - my dad snapped me while I was unawares! Please feel free to ignore the hippo on top and just look at the lovely horsey - I am very fat and unfit following my winter of hibernation!

He doesn't look too impressed, does he? - 29th May 2008

He's not really that bum-high, we're on a slope!

It's only a very short video, I'm afraid, but I wanted to share my first ride on Salsa of 2008!
No comments:
Post a Comment